Tuesday, December 1, 2009

Book By Its Cover

This year has seemed to be one of delay and disruption. I shared below how my computer has been giving me fits, and so has the economy. There have also been some personal things that have required quite a bit of processing on my part to come to terms with. I've taken some of the slow time to get mundane parts of my life in order, but I feel like the hour is approaching for me to move forward with my creative projects again. My first book is about ready to go as an e-book, but I've had a holdup with the cover artwork, because my artist friend who is doing it for me has recently had a quite serious illness. I am hoping he recovers soon because he's been through a lot the last few years and truly does not deserve this. I think his state has come mostly from stress due to unpleasant stuff he has had to deal with, which amounts to being unfairly punished for being unfairly punished. I can relate to that, it's certainly happened to me in the past, but I feel very sorry for him because he's sick enough to have taken disability time off from his day job and I know he feels physically awful. I am sharing this because I write this blog to share my experiences with developing my writing, and this kind of thing is part of the process. Reality is something that must be dealt with.

3 comments:

Brian Harrison said...

Interesting. I always found the story of Parsifal intriguing. I recall reading through Christien de Troyes account of him. I was googling pictures of him and I found your blog.

Brian Harrison said...

Interesting. I find the story of Parsifal intriguing. I recall reading through Christien de Troyes version a few years ago. I found your blog by googling for pictures of the knight.

Susan Brooks said...

The Arthurian material is fascinating - I love Chretien and he was one of my influences for my books. I met a lady at a conference last year in France who is a researcher at Georgetown University in Washington, DC. She was the first person to translate him into English in verse. He'd been translated into prose English, but she maintained his poetic form in her version. I plan to read her translation some time, it's supposed to be very good. Without realizing it, I wrote my books in the same form he did - octosyllabic rhyming couplets. Apparently that is a very common medieval French poetic form. I had no idea of that when I started writing that way, but the material just seemed to lend itself to it very naturally.

I'm glad you found my blog. Thank you for stopping by.