Wednesday, April 1, 2009

Writer's Grant Analysis

I applied for a writer's grant and did not win, and I think I would find it helpful to write a bit of analysis about it. There were seven hundred and fifty applicants and only one winner, with five more non-cash-prize honorable mention finalists, so the odds against each applicant were very high, but I learned a lot through this process and I want to do a breakdown around it.

The grant was from A Room of Her Own, an organization that supports women writers with this and other grants and with writer's retreats and workshops.

http://www.aroho.org/

Their charter is based on giving a very large ($50,000) grant every two years to a writer who is already showing a high level of commitment to her craft. It is also derived from Virginia Woolf’s thesis that a woman needs personal space and resources in order to live out her full creative potential, which is why the award is so large – it really creates a space of independence to get that much money in a relatively short period of time. The funds are parceled out over a period of two years, and are to be used for any purpose that furthers the recipient’s writing. This year’s winner, Barbara Johnson of New Orleans, plans to use the cash to support the process of writing her first novel. Other people have used the award to pay for an MFA in writing, which the current winner did not need because she already earned one from the University of New Orleans. If I had won, I planned to use the money to self-publish and promote the two Arthurian books I have already created and to clear a little space to move forward with the remainder of the volumes in that series and with other projects in process. (I am going to do all of that anyway, but $50,000 of free money would have sped things up considerably.)

I read Ms. Johnson’s application, and I looked at her biographical info and that of the finalists and I found it to be very revealing of the mindset of this particular awards committee. When I was filling out the grant application, I came across a question that made me think, “I’m probably not going to get this grant.” The question asked what community benefit one’s writing would have if awarded the grant. I live in an artist’s community, and I interact with my neighborhood and the greater Los Angeles creative community, I social-network online, and I’ve done volunteer work for various organizations. However, I am not involved in any substantial way with any community arts organization, partly because I have not lived in L.A. that long and partly because as soon as I got here, I started writing my second book and holed up in my house for over a year to complete it. It was so demanding that I did not have any time or energy for anything else, and the editing process has proven to be no less demanding. It’s been a pretty clear choice to me my whole adult life that I have to either do my art and not much else, or not do my art, which is unacceptable, so I’ve cut out a lot of other interaction. The public aspect of my creative career has certainly suffered for that, but it was a sacrifice necessary in order to actually make the art. I haven’t pursued finding avenues for publishing my shorter poems for the same reason – I felt the books were an investment of my time that could pay much larger dividends in the future so I put the bulk of my focus on them. I’ve also had almost insupportable disruptions in my life from 9-11 in NYC and Katrina in NOLA, and I had to ruthlessly refuse a lot of activities requests in order to get back on track with my writing after both of those massively destabilizing interruptions. I honestly haven’t been in a position to help anyone else much, because I’ve had to apply all of my effort to getting somewhere for myself. I answered that question on the application by outlining how my work is feminist in nature and possesses a strong component of historical relevance and religious and cultural cross-pollination derived from its origins in medieval source material. I said I would like to bring those values to a dialogue with the wider community, and that I would happily give free readings and workshops in places like libraries and other public institutions in order to further that. When I reviewed the background qualifications of the winner and finalists,

http://www.aroho.org/GOF/Barbara_Johnson.php

it was clear that they all have extensive community outreach experience and they have all been far more public with their writing work, garnering prizes and gaining advanced degrees. The winner herself and two of the runners-up already have writing MFA’s, which does show a high degree of commitment to one’s art. I have foregone that level of education to date simply because I was writing the books, and felt that committing to them was my best course of action rather than seeking public validation of work not yet completed. I also wanted to form them in the crucible of my own sensibility rather than expose my creative process to the possible subjective influence of critical feedback from a professor or thesis committee. The process of writing my books is highly spiritual in nature, very much like the milieu of a monk or scribe sitting in isolation in his cell in order to refine his own expression on the page. They are an act of private devotion, and bringing them out for public scrutiny before they were ready was not at all something I wanted to risk. The very first person I showed my first book to at the medieval conference I went to in France tried to edit it to her own taste, so you can see why I wanted a clear field of non-interference to work with. I think there are two potent lessons in this for me: one, the organization behind this grant simply had their own set of priorities for candidate criteria, which is perfectly fair, they just did not happen to match my profile of career and life experience; and two, I do need to go more public with my writing. Journalism is one thing, but the books are something else entirely, and I really do want to get them out to the world and start interacting around them. For what it’s worth, too, if taste was a factor in the determination, I can see that mine diverges greatly from that of this organization. The winning writer, Ms. Johnson, writes poetically, but her style is very American and modern. My literary touchstones are old sometimes to the point of antiquity and are mostly European. I need to find a grants organization whose objectives are more closely aligned with the work I am producing and I think I’ll get better results.

I read back over my grant application, and I would not do anything differently with it. I was very honest about my writing and my life situation, and I spelled out exactly what I hope to accomplish. I outlined specific goals and the steps I would take to reach them, and in the part of the application that inquired what I would ask for from AROHO, I said I could use their help creating a business plan, which I thought was a very reasonable request to make of people who make a living supporting the creation of books. I wrote very passionately about my art and what it means to me, and I especially responded to one of the questions that asked applicants to discuss one of several Virginia Woolf quotes regarding writing that were provided by the committee. I love Woolf, and wrote a paper in college about her book Orlando. We share the same birthday and she’s been a big influence on me. I chose the quote, "Poetry ought to have a mother as well as a father." In the essay, I gave my mother due credit for teaching me to read and taking me to the library when I was little, and I wrote a lot about how women have been marginalized educationally and culturally throughout history, and of what a profound impact Woolf’s words had on bringing attention to that. She self-published via the Hogarth Press which she founded with her husband Leonard Woolf, and I wrote about the admirable avant-garde nature of that undertaking, too, and how I’d like to emulate it. In answer to a question about what writing means to me, I described my trip to France, and how overwhelmingly happy it made me to visit Mont St. Michel, a place I had written about in my Parsifal book. Here is a passage from that essay:


Seeing in person what I had seen only in books and on the internet was incredible - I had imagined my hero Parsifal, the knight of the Holy Grail, exploring those same lands and the great cathedral, and I felt like I had stepped into a fairytale, a fairytale that I had written. It was like the wonder of the stories I loved when I was a child curled up in a chair with a pretty book, but I was living the book instead of reading it. That is what writing means to me – it is no less than a divine gift that allows me my highest expression in the duration of time that encompasses my earthly existence. I was given the gift of writing the story of my own life and thereby co-creating with the great Creator my tiny corner of the world He made, and aside from life itself, I can’t think of a greater gift than that. That’s why the first cave paintings, also in France, hold such a sense of wonder and awe – they convey the whole cosmos and they make of a cave a cathedral. The Gothic churches are in turn an articulation of their builders’ awe at the immense groves of trees of Old Europe, the soaring trunks that suggested columns and the interplay of light in the leaves that solidified into the glory of stained glass. Thus is distilled the core of spiritual interaction between man, environment, and Maker: the arts are the closest that man can get to being God and making a world in his own image.


I'll stand behind that any day of the week.

My housemate, Evonne Heyning, runs a small non-profit to support artistic aims and is an old hand at grants. She is also a master social networker in new media, and when in my postmortem of this application I asked her for her advice on the grants process, she had an absolutely brilliant idea. She responded, “Why don't you use the space we have available at the artist’s community where we live to hold literary and poetry readings and workshops, and do more community outreach that way?” I can create a salon that comes to me, rather than having to search out venues, and I can put the resource of free space that we have in the service of the greater community. The Los Angeles literary community is not as widespread as in many other cities, due to the overwhelming presence of other kinds of media, but that is a perfect motivation to create another event for it. There are a lot of fine writers who deserve exposure, and an underground, grass-roots event is right up my alley. I may not have won this award, but I’ve now got more grants experience for myself, and a great idea of how to win friends and influence literary people.

10 comments:

valsavo said...

Dear Susan,
I read your response to Barb Johnson winning the Room of Her Own award. I appreciate your observations, and, must add they are accurate to your experience, as is true of most of us most of the time, thus the irony of my writing this to you.

None the less, I feel compelled to tell you this analysis; this taking apart of "what happened" is not possible for you to accomplish with any accuracy. I am sure of this, for several reasons, not the least of which is, it's one of those “you had to have been there” things, at least for a while.

Barb has always been a writer, committed to her craft in a way no one could understand without having "been there" and then maybe only having the smallest sense of what went into her commitment to her art. Barb has lived "a room of her own," integrating the usual demands of life into her passion to record what her sensory self takes in and what her brain makes of it all. Her brain does a good job of putting it together while we sleep, or tune out, or paint our nails. We might be busy creating what may for us be a more comfortable way of perceiving what is within and without; though Barb doesn't suffer this sissified indulgence.

There are many witnesses to the curious ways she involves her life in her art, of how she involves her art in her life; nothing is wasted in her visceral experience of work, play, emotions, and relationships. This would include the frustrations life regularly visits upon each of us.

She has been willing to feel, take in, think about, and write about life in greater complexity than most of us who make up the sissies contention and who have given ourselves to the indulgence of avoidance and to various degrees of denial.

Barb found a way to integrate an education into this world with the same demands we all face. The demands of making a living weren't wasted time for her. No time was lost; all experience was breathed in and added to an expanding perspective of the greater whole of what it is to fully BE. This ability, I believe, is the essence of creating what she has been expectantly acknowledged for achieving.

Her habit of quiet unwinding while the world slept was her time of connecting the daily collection of dots, of integrating meaning into what most of leave behind unnoticed.

There are many paths when traveling a spiritual quest; one can be a carpenter, a monk, a student; the avatar makes no never mind. A spiritual path requires no set parameters, and no one path is more or less than, just different.

I haven't asked her about my thoughts I'm sharing with you, and she may totally disagree. I'm just responding to what just did not resonate with me as I read your analysis.

I feel it contained more about you than about the process of who won what award; I say this with the hope you will reconsider the true locus of any individual's achievement, at least in the context we are addressing.

While I am sympathetic to your frustrations, appreciative of your dedication, and to the effort to what you aspire, I feel compelled to tell you, what happens related to you, is completely and without reservation about you. I hope I do not sound unkind; actually, it disturbs me when anyone gives control of any aspect of their life to external sources.

I think that while I too am at times guilty of feeling in the "it isn't me" mode, it remains a pet peeve of mine, and in this instance one I feel responsible to address.

I truly hope you will consider your take on "what happened" as light years away from the reality. I am afraid if you don't, you might become stuck and not realize your quest. I can tell you have great passion and potential, and, realizing potential requires your holding the reigns within the control of your own hands.

I wish you all the best, the wind at your back, and great power as you take hold of the reigns of what drives you, steering them in the direction that brings you to your hoped for destination.

You must believe it is only your chariot upon which you ride, only your ability to withstand the discomfort of the intensity of pounding hooves beating in your head until you feel it might burst, only your choice of moving through the night at great speed while most of us sleep.

These things I believe are the substance of becoming the author of your own destiny.

Warmest regards,

Valerie

valsavo said...

Why didn't you publish my comment? Why have a comment section? To publish only comments consistent with your point of view? Perhaps this is what you should ponder when taking apart the reasons you feel cheated of what you deserve. If you aren't willing to take it all, and put it out there, you may not be able to take the GOOD along with the perhaps less palatable. I mean this in the most supportive way.

Valerie

Susan Brooks said...

Valerie, thank you for taking the time to read my post about my experience applying for the grant from the A Room of Her Own Foundation and for your effort to formulate a response. I want to address some of your comments. I think it is admirable that you mounted a defense of your friend Barb Johnson, the recipient of the award, but do I take exception to some of the things you said about my post, particularly your statement that it is impossible for me to accurately write about my personal experience with this grant. No one besides me is qualified to document my experience, and I did not mean anything in my post as a criticism of either Ms. Johnson or the AROHO organization. I wrote about the process of applying as a sort of “post-game analysis” of what I learned about applying for grants in general and this one in particular. I don’t begrudge Ms. Johnson winning the award. There were 750 applicants, all of whom had a chance of winning the prize. The selection committee voted their conscience and chose Ms. Johnson, and good for her. She best fit their subjective criteria and won the award. My comments about why I thought she won take nothing away from her accomplishment. My aim was not sour grapes, but rather self-improvement in how I approach grants in the future. I learned a lot about what this particular grant committee is looking for by reading her winning essay and examining both her provided qualifications and those of the finalists. I stand behind my assessment that the more public and community-oriented aspects of the winner’s and finalists’ activities truly did help them towards recognition in this grant process as much as their writing accomplishments did. I don’t know if you read the award application, but the query about the community benefit of the applicants’ writing projects was a central question that AROHO asked. There were not many questions on the application form, and their inclusion of that particular inquiry speaks for itself in expressing how important they must think that that factor is in determining who deserves their funding. That is fair. It’s their money, and they gave it to the person they thought best reflected their ideals in both writing and outreach. I understand why community involvement is important to them – I think they hope that through it the award will benefit more people than just the one winner. Based on that selection criteria, however, I really do think that their ideal recipient isn’t me, because of my own particular circumstances and preferences. I am introverted, and I don’t have the energy for a lot of outreach beyond what I do to promote my own work. I also support myself with a 9-5 job and because of the constraints of that, I don’t have the ability to get involved in a lot of extracurricular activities or to pursue an advanced degree, at least not at this time. I’d rather devote myself to writing and I think that that is the best present path towards my own goals. Therefore, I won’t apply for this grant again because I think doing so would be a waste of time better spent toward finding something that is a better fit for me and also towards creating finished work. That is not giving up on my art in any way, it’s a strategic decision based on honest self-appraisal as to how best to apply my own limited resources. This is actually the first major grant I have ever applied for on my own behalf and I did not expect to win it. As I said, there were 750 applicants and only one winner, and those are high odds. There are thousands of other grants, many of which might prove more attainable for me, and besides vying for grant money, there is always the time-honored way of simply publishing one’s work in the commercial sphere, which I intend to do very shortly.

It might help for you to understand my post in context rather than as a free-standing comment on only this one event: the purpose of my blog is to chronicle my experience with my creative process. I document my ongoing writing and editing progress on my own books, and I analyze all of the actions that I take to further my writing career. I do this for two main reasons: one, I am a writer, and I make sense of my experiences for myself by writing about them, and two, I hope that my experience can help other writers. I am experimenting to see what works, and some things I have tried have produced better results than others. I think it is helpful to share that kind of information. Some of the people who read this blog are my own friends, most of whom are artists of one kind or another. I’ve gotten feedback from people I know saying that my accounts of things I have tried have helped them get an idea of what they might expect from activities similar to my own. For example, I attended three conferences in the past year, and I wrote about those. One of them was fairly useful, one was dreadful and one was very good. I think that that kind of experiential data is helpful to anyone who might be considering paying money out to attend a conference. Some conferences and seminars have an aim to actually help writers advance their careers, while others seem to exist only to profit off of those with a desire to write professionally without providing them with much real assistance. Some seminars seem to be geared to literary hobbyists rather than people who are more career-oriented. Some presentations are poorly managed, and others are a model of organization. It helps to know such things when picking which events to pay for, and it helps to know going in to a conference environment what one might expect from the agents and publishers in attendance. At one major conference, I paid for advance readings and consultations, and out of three I only found one particularly helpful. I don’t consider that a waste of money because I learned from it, but I don’t need to do it again, and maybe someone else can avoid spending money unproductively if they read my post about that conference and it influences how they allocate their own resources. The same philosophy applies to grants, which is why I wrote about this one. Each grants organization is different, and if a writer can use information such as my feedback to determine if they are a good candidate for a particular award, they stand a better chance of winning the ones they do choose to apply for. It’s a lot like target marketing to a niche audience or refining a job search to determine the best employment for one’s skills.

I must close by saying that I also took exception to your use of the term “sissies.” I consider that a misogynistic word, because it’s derived from “sister,” and implies that women are weaklings when compared to men, the corresponding “bro’s.” That flies in the face of what AROHO and this award are about, which is to support women and their written contributions to culture. You also seem to be implying that the rest of the 750 grant applicants are not as personally strong as Ms. Johnson, and that is simply insulting. I don’t think any one of the women who ponied up cash and time to apply for this grant are weak. Every one of us believed in our writing enough to try for this recognition of it, and that is not “sissified,” to use your own objectionable term. You spoke of how Ms. Johnson wove her creative activities into her life while still responding to the world’s other demands. I wrote most of my first book on the Staten Island ferry and the subway in New York City on my way to and from an exhausting job on Wall Street, and I edited it in temporary housing following my evacuation from New Orleans after Hurricane Katrina. I wrote much of my second book on the bus and train in Los Angeles after I relocated here post-disaster, again on my work commute. I know all about carving out time and space from the demands of life in order to make art and I wager that so do most of the women who also applied. Ms. Johnson earned an MFA, and, again, good for her. I wrote two books, and good for me, too. I put my energy toward my passion, and so did she, and that is a win-win, no matter how we did it or who got the grant.

- Susan Brooks

Addendum: As to your follow-up comment asking why I did not publish and respond to your initial comment quickly enough for your taste, I spent some of this past weekend in a computer training class and the rest of it at a wedding. You also left a very long comment, which took some time to ponder and address. I was composing the above reply while you were posting your follow-up. You say you intend your second comment in the most supportive way, but it is not, not in the least. The entire world does not revolve around your schedule or your opinion.

Valerie said...

Dear Susan,

Thank you for your time and thoughtful response. I believe your post deserves some time to reflect upon, though, I do not want to delay a very sincere apology for any offense to you. I've known Barb since we were in Junior High School, and have watched the sweat and struggle to achieve what has finally manifested from the complete immersion of her life in the service of writing. As to my errant remark you feel was misogynist, I do understand that not to know me is to definitely misunderstand my "silliness" overindulged, though, I don't think I'll go into this now. More importantly, I feel your time and effort in responding to my comments deserves a timely apology for having offended you.

You are correct; I was perhaps being defensive because Barb is my friend and I love her. You are also correct in your calling me on using "sissy," though again, to know me is to understand sometimes my way of saying something requires knowledge of my idiosyncrasies in addressing what I find offensive; I am as far from misogynist as any description I can think of. Irritanting, well, yes, though certainly without the intent in what I wrote to you.

Please accept my apologies, my warmest wishes, and greatest hopes in all of your endeavors, and, my respect for your sending this email. It speaks of engagement in life and art, and of considerable personal substance. Forgive me my clumsiness in defending of a much loved friend.

Peace to you,

Valerie

Susan Brooks said...

Valerie, thank you for your reply. I confess, I was feeling very irritated with you, but now I am not, because I can indeed see that you were defending your friend and I commend that. My confusion was because there was nothing to defend against – I truly did not mean my original grant analysis post in any negative way. You don’t know me, either, but one of my personality traits is that I analyze everything. I do that in order to understand things, and to see what works and what doesn’t and what I can do better. I studied art history and I’ve worked as an arts journalist, and I tend to take apart creative situations in order to examine them in my own learning process. That is what I was doing here, and that’s why the blog post was about me – I wasn’t writing about Barb or AROHO, really, I was writing about my learning curve regarding applying for artist grants and what I feel I can do differently to improve my own future chances of securing one in support of my projects. I’m also blogging to draw some attention to my own writing efforts; to judge from this, apparently it’s working.

I am glad you have such a good friend that you feel so strongly about protecting. I honestly think Barb sounds really cool. I love that she is running an all-female crew for Habitat for Humanity, and I think her program to help older women tell their stories through writing is a fantastic idea. I also liked her essay. When I read it, I got a vivid mental picture of her riding around on one of those Mardi Gras city buses you have down in NOLA, taking stock of her surroundings and synthesizing them into descriptive prose. When the winner was announced, I posted to Twitter that I didn’t win, but that I was glad someone from New Orleans had. I know all about the impact of Katrina on Gulf Coast artists and arts programs, and I was happy to see the prize go to someone there who can share some of its benefit with that community, as Barb is already doing with her volunteer work.

Regarding the “sissies” comment, I’m from the South, and I know that’s a term commonly used there. I’m just tired of having my art and personal efforts measured against a male yardstick, which is why I objected to it. I’m more than happy to move past that, and I thank you for your apology, both for that and in general. I apologize for being snippy in reply to you, too. I was just frustrated. I appreciate your response, and look forward to talking with you more in the future. I wish both you and Barb the best. She earned that award, and she has clearly earned your high regard, as well.

-Susan

valsavo@aol.com said...

Dear Susan:

Just a quick thought; are you a fan of Joseph Campbell? He died in 1987, though, I believe you and he might have a great common interest. Jean Houston, a colleague and friend of Campbell's, currently lives in Oregon. She is active in the use of myth as a catalyst for individual, group, and world transformation from having "lost our mazeway." Buckminster Fuller has called her mind a national treasure. Her social artistry through the use of story telling referencing the myths of the ages and increased sensory experience methods of teaching are phenomenal. You're probably more familiar with Campbell than I, though I thought it important to mention him anyway. He was a man immersed, consumed, and of great talent and intuition in his quest of myth as metaphor for understanding the evolution of the human condition.

And, thanks for so easily forgiving my offending you.

Warmly,

Valerie

Susan Brooks said...

I've read some Campbell, but I am not familiar with Jean Houston. I will have to look her up.

It's easy to forgive someone when you realize they are just looking out for a friend. :)

Ecodea said...

Hi, Susan!

I came across your blog in an interesting way - I actually clicked on it thinking it had something to do with Waldorf education (my son goes to a Waldorf school and Parsifal is a recurring theme in the curricula). Coincidently I also applied to the AROHO grant (for creative nonfiction) and I am now compelled to write my view of the experience too, or post some of the essays I sent in.

I enjoyed your post and can relate to a lot of what you wrote, especially the part about going public with writing and the issue of becoming isolated from the rest of the world. I love/need to be alone a lot and I think it is one of the reasons I haven't dived fully into writing yet (i.e., giving up other jobs) - I'm afraid of becoming TOO isolated from the world or whatever. On the other hand I still have a lot of trouble showing my writing to people and telling even close friend about my passion for writing. I have several blogs on different topics, but I can never manage to put them in the same list with the one I dedicate exclusively to writing, as if the people who read my other blogs wouldn't like this other side of me. I also have trouble posting what my work on my writing blog, for some unknown reason.

Anyway, I'm rambling here. I just wanted to say I enjoyed finding your blog and will come back :)

Cheers from Brazil,
Andrea

P.S.

Ecodea said...

P.S. Thought I would share the link to my writing blog: http://www.seahorseislet.blogspot.com/ :)

Not a lot there yet, but I plan to add more...

Susan Brooks said...

Hi, Andrea, thank you for your comments. It's interesting, this one post has gotten more attention than anything else I have blogged about. I recommend a book called The Artist's Way by Julia Cameron for help in devoting oneself to any kind of creative endeavor. It really helped me. One thing I have come to terms with is that my creative process is individual, unlike anyone else's. I've had to isolate myself to some degree in order to be productive, but that is not sustainable over a lifetime. The work has to be aired at some point, but it does make sense to me that the monklike context I have fashioned for writing has actually facilitated the material - it's inspired by medieval sources, and I think working like a medieval monk has helped with the tone. I am also more entertained by reading, research and writing than by most other things, so it hasn't really been a sacrifice for me to focus on those activities, but after a long period of writing, I do find that I need to get out, watch dumb TV, etc. in order to decompress.

Props to your son's school for covering Parsifal. That is fantastic. And my compliments to you for applying for the grant. I would love to see your writing, and I will visit your blog when I have some free time.

Thank you again for your notes. I am finding this dialogue with other artists gratifying, and I look forward to hearing from you again.

-Susan