Monday, November 17, 2008

Wardrobe Mayhem

For today's style report, I am wearing one of my favorite vintage shirts that I pulled out of storage in NYC. That means I have not worn it for three years and I am happy to have it back. It's a little 3/4 sleeve black polyester top with an interesting button close at the neck that was made in the late '60's or early '70's. The buttons are small and fake tortoiseshell and the neckline has sort of a gathered effect that I like. The sleeves bell slightly, too, which I think is really flattering.

I found several great items right away in storage and mailed a big box back to myself. There are some pretty lace things, a lot of cashmere gloves I bought discount in NYC at after-Christmas sales over the years, a tartan wrap with my family plaid (Leslie, from Aberdeen), an English schoolboy scarf, a big metal medallion necklace with the god Mercury on it and a nice black velvet clutch evening bag with a gold heart clasp that I hope to use over the holidays.

I also rediscovered a pair of grey short cowboy boots with sky blue stitching that I bought at a thrift store in Dallas. I stumbled upon them when I moved my garment rack of long dresses so that I could paint the ceiling on that side of the room. Score. I'll wear them this later this week.

I love clothes, especially vintage ones. This is why I have so many (too many) of them, and why I've been so talking so much lately about having gotten rid of a lot of things. It's a big step for me to do so, and a positive one. I have lots of nice pieces just sitting in storage and other things right in my apartment that aren't being worn much, so my Christmas gift to myself this year is to get them into circulation.

No comments: