Wednesday, February 27, 2008

Confusion of Languages

I wanted to add a separate note in regard to my post of 2/26, (Creative Process and Manuscript Progress). I mentioned that I started working on Parsifal again after spending the night in Coalinga, CA. The name is significant, and plays into an important plot element of the book. I am very interested in theology and religion, and I get a lot of my creative ideas from study in those areas. The original language of mankind before the Tower of Babel incident in the Bible is sometimes called the coalingua. In the account, when man decided that he was as important as God and built the tower to try to usurp the divine privilege, the deterrent was that suddenly the would-be builders all spoke different languages and could not understand each other, and thus could not complete their misguided task. I think the confusion is a symbolic way of talking about the evolution of tribal cultures in the ancient world, as formerly cohesive peoples scattered from common areas and started to diverge culturally and linguistically (for example, both Arabic and Hebraic elements evolved from the same Chaldean origins). It also describes the conflicts that arose as differing peoples encountered each other and interacted, often negatively and from a subjective place. In my book, the Grail is a unifying principle. It brings mankind back together from that fragmented state caused by ego and failure to tolerate differences. One thing that the Grail does is reintroduce the coalingua to anyone in its vicinity so that people of many nations can come together and understand each other via its holiness. It's a metaphor that all who are drawn to the sacred object are willing to communicate. I did not know that the plot point would arise when I checked into that motel in Coalinga, but it became central to the book later, as the story developed. That's what I mean by my work interacting with the environment. Jung called it synchronicity, a cohesion that arises when one is one the right path.

No comments: