Thursday, February 21, 2008

Let There Be Art

I spent a lot of time looking for just the right images for Parsifal's Horse, and I am very pleased with what I have found and posted. The artist for all of the images on this blog is Willy Pogany. The title illustration is from the cover of The Welsh Fairy Book, written by Welsh educator and author W. Jenkyn Thomas and published in 1907. The rest of the pictures are illustrations from the book Parsifal, or the Legend of the Holy Grail Retold from Ancient Sources, written by the Irish poet T.W. Rolleston and published in 1912. Pogany was a Hungarian book illustrator and the Parsifal suite was one of his most important works. I wanted mystical, evocative images, and I think Pogany's work is breathtaking. It's very old and in the public domain, which was also important as I am not earning money from this blog. I am also happy to bring attention to an older artist who is not well-known anymore. I love book illustration. One of the things that made me want to become a writer when I was small was reading beautiful old books that belonged to my mother or to the library, and seeing the Victorian or Art Nouveau illustrations. Nothing brings a King Arthur story to life like a gorgeous, colorful painting, and I am happy to have repurposed these images to bring some of that feeling to Parsifal's Horse.

No comments: