Tuesday, June 17, 2008

Another Day, Another Edit Update, and Some Philosophy

I am more than halfway through another edit of The Flower of Knighthood, and am fast approaching the end-of-June deadline I have set for myself of getting the manuscript up online as a paid download and free sample. I am emailing back and forth with my web designer friend to set up a linkpage to Paypal and to set up the space on my existing website for this function. Exciting times. My housemate, scientist/artist/Renaissance man Ryan Wartena, is a tireless promoter of my work, and he sat me next to some interesting people (authors Daniel Pinchbeck http://www.realitysandwich.com/blog/daniel_pinchbeck and Paradox, a many-years alumnus of Burning Man and writer of performance pieces, both of whom are good friends with Ryan) at a dinner party we hosted on Friday night and told them about my forthcoming books, which started a lively conversation. He also told another writer friend who visited on Saturday about my books, and made me go get a draft to show her, demanding to know when I would have copies for him to give to his friends. So, yaay, Ryan! I am very grateful for his support, and for that of everyone at my artist's community. I promised to get him some copies by the end of the month when I get the download up.

The theme of the weekend seemed to be that everyone I talked to is seeking to make more time in their lives for writing. My housemate Brent Heyning (owner of Toyshoppe, http://toyshoppepro.com/) has done film crew and special effects and music road crew for years, and wants to focus more on developing his own projects, most of which involve a lot of writing. We talked some about how I managed to carve out time to finish two books, and I told him I cut out a lot of other activities and also maximized my available time every week by taking public transit as much as possible and using that space to write instead of having to be the one paying attention to the road. In NYC that was a non-issue, since I already took the Staten Island ferry and subway everywhere, but in Los Angeles, committing to public transit is a big deal. I freed up at least ten hours a week to devote to writing by doing that. I also cut out most television and movies and used my evenings to write, because what was happening in my head and on the page was far more entertaining to me than anything anyone else could make. I've been blowing off steam lately by watching movies because I reached a point of real deprivation with over a year of avoiding them, but it was still a sacrifice that was worth it to me. Brent was encouraged, and he asked me if I want to set aside some group writing time at some point. I've never tried that, so I am up for it. I'm kind of a freak when I write; I light incense, play medieval music and stare into space a lot, and occasionally get up to sort clothes or papers just to get a mental break for a few minutes, and then go back to my notebook. It can't be very exciting to watch, but being around anyone creating anything can help jumpstart the process of art so maybe it would be mutually helpful. The dinner party Friday was a fundraiser for a temple to be built at Burning Man this year (I am not a Burner, but many of my housemates are and consequently I meet a lot of people from that social circle) and the organizer Amanda also told me during Saturday cleanup that she wants to write more. I gave her the same advice I gave Brent, and told her to start a blog also. She does a lot of interesting projects for Burning Man and other things, and that would be perfect grist for the blog mill that might help her get writing assignments. She and Brent both said that they tend to overschedule themselves with projects, and that they feel they need to stop doing that and focus inward. I encouraged that in both of them. The way I see it, if you want to pursue something, then you are supposed to do so. There is something in it that you are being drawn to in order to unfold your own potential. I told Brent to focus on his most immortal ambitions. I figure no one will really remember me for the work I've done simply to support myself, or even much for my magazine writing, but they will remember books and music. That's what I am going for, my biggest ideas that really mean something and that will live on after I am gone. That is the only kind of immortality humans can achieve, and the best thing any artist can contribute to the world. Art is for everyone, I firmly believe that anyone can create something, but truly dedicated art really is kind of rarefied. It takes a lot to say no to everything else in order to devote yourself to creation, and that commitment shows. The things I want the most in this world are a family and a thriving career as an artist. I am not married yet, and I don't have children yet, either, and I decided that until I do have those demands upon my time and energy, I will use all of my available resources towards my art. I dearly want to have a family, but can't make that happen until it's ready to materialize, so I am spending the luxury of my time alone on what I value.

I also spent some time this weekend working on my Etsy shop and have almost fifty items listed, with more to post this week. I also sold a dress to a lady in Australia and shipped out the first two items I sold, to customers in Chicago and Italy. The web rocks - how else could you reach a worldwide audience with vintage clothes, let alone with books, music, etc?

No comments: