Thursday, May 15, 2008

Interesting Article - Famous Cases of Writer's Block

I like to read about other writers sometimes, and I found this today - it's an interesting analysis of two famous cases of writer's block.

http://www.slate.com/id/2191312/

I always thought it seemed like Ralph Ellison was just happy to sit on the social laurels he accrued from writing his one successful book, Invisible Man. And Truman Capote was a raging alcoholic. They both exhibited addict behavior, no wonder they had such problems pulling themselves together to write on an ongoing basis. I read a really great book once, called Witness to the Fire, by Linda Schierse Leonard, about the archetypes running wild in the psyche of an addict. She used cases of famous artists to illustrate her points, pulling from their work and lives to demonstrate her points. I also thought The Artist's Way by Julia Cameron was very interesting and helpful for unblocking oneself. Reading that has helped me get to the point where writing and editing are integrated into my daily life, which is incredibly rewarding. I had trouble getting started as a writer when I was young because nothing in my environment was encouraging me to do so, but I hit some kind of critical mass around 1995 where I no longer cared what anyone else thought. I realized I had something to say and I decided that I would figure out how to say it, and do what I needed to do to get it out there. And here we are.

2 comments:

Celtic Sprite said...

Dearest Susan
Your blog is as interesting as your profile!
Congratulations....
I would be pleased to know if you are interested on on celtic subjects.
If you wish, you may find some music of my own, and plenty of celtic posts, music and free wallpapers at my blog...
http//:branawen.blogspot.com
Keep in touch dearie...
branawen@gmail.com

Susan Brooks said...

Thank you for your kind comments and for reading my blog. I am interested in Celtic topics, and I actually have seen your blog before. I remember it came up once in a search I did for something Celtic, I don't recall exactly what, but I'll take a closer look at it.