Monday, May 19, 2008

One Step Back, One Step Forward

I had a setback this past weekend in my timeline for going live with my online store. My relative loaned me a digital camera to take photos of my items, but she forgot to give me the cable and the software disk for it so I could post the pictures online. She lives an hour and a half away, so there was no way I could get the missing components by the time I discovered I needed them. So my Etsy shop is still empty for a few more days, but this is probably a good thing in the long run, because I decided to go next weekend and buy myself a good digital camera. I found one at Best Buy online that's a reasonable price. I need one anyway; it's been becoming clearer to me lately that it would help me get more writing assignments if I could provide pictures for some of my articles without having to arrange for a photographer to accompany me. I've been asked by several magazines if I could do that, so I think I need to empower myself and get the camera. It's not like it's hard to use one, I just haven't bought one because I had other priorities, but this is the kind of cross-functionality that media demands now, and while I am not a great photographer by any stretch of the imagination, I can manage something that's ok. I also need my own camera to manage this online shop, so it's worth the investment.

On a positive note, I took the time I would have used on setting up the shop and applied it to working on my book editing. I'm now more than halfway finished with this next edit and hope to have it done by the end of this week so I can spend next weekend taking the photos with my new camera.

No comments: