Wednesday, April 23, 2008

The Nearly-Ending Story

OK, I worked hard last night and confirmed all of the last set of changes to my book manuscript. I also started reading it again to make sure they all work in context, and I found a few more little things to improve, mostly streamlining punctuation. I punctuate things eccentrically sometimes, as an additional means of expression, and it works well in some instances and in others I am realizing it can be awkward. I am consciously making an effort to keep enough of it to retain the signature element that it gives my writing without having so much that it is annoying. I am going to work on this at lunchtime today and also devote a lot of time to it this evening. This is about the nine millionth draft of this book, and I realize that chronicling its daily progress is probably deadly boring to some readers, but I want to document the process of writing and publishing books, and this is all part of it. If it's any consolation to you, if you are bored reading about it, imagine doing it. That's the dream I'm living right now! It's good for me the way sit-ups are good, or wheatgrass juice, and it is fun in a nerdy way, but it is really, really tiring. I have truly earned this accomplishment. I think I am also going to ask my copyeditor friend how much he would charge me to look over it once I am done with it. It's really hard to be objective about something you are so deeply immersed in, and I think having a final pair of eyes to go over it just to look for any lingering typos is a good idea.

No comments: