Monday, April 21, 2008

Written In Runes and Stars

I was lucky enough this past weekend to meet and interact briefly with two of my heroes, Daniel Ash and David J from the bands Bauhaus and Love and Rockets. (For more detail, see my music blog at: http://fleurdamourmusic.blogspot.com/2008/04/gothic-lolitas-forest-spirits-love-and.html) I heard they were spinning records at Amoeba Music for Record Store Day, and I headed over as a fan, not as a journalist. I love those bands, and have gotten a lot of inspiration from them over the years, and I wanted to catch the vibe from those two. That’s one reason I like doing interviews with artists. Creative people have a pronounced energy and I find it highly stimulating. Being around creatively active people helps me be so, as well, in a kind of osmosis or alchemy. It’s funny, but I just got this horoscope:

The universe has arranged for you to cross paths with individuals who'll excite and inspire you. Is this foolish? Should you be cautious? Is it simply time to take one giant step outside the box? It's all up to you -- but don't doubt your instincts for a single second.

It seems like it was part of a larger pattern for me to go this event. Another interesting aspect of the afternoon was that I went to a charity clothing sale (also detailed in the above blog post) before I went to the music store, and I picked out a little faux tortoiseshell belt that I liked. I didn’t think about it until I was walking back to the car, but it’s composed of a series of small plastic rectangles that reminded me suddenly of runestones. Then I realized that they all have a diamond motif on them, diamond as in the shape, not the stone. They DO look like a significant rune I drew recently. Anyone reading this blog regularly knows by now that I place some weight in things like astrology and I Ching and runes because I have quite a mystic worldview especially grounded in archetypal psychology, and while esoteric things can be misguided or misused, there is a basis for them in the symbolic unconscious. I’ve had life experience that shows me that things are connected, and throwing a given rune and then having the same symbol show up in my life in other ways seems like synchronicity to me and not mere coincidence, especially since I was drawn to it so unconsciously. That's always a clue that something's up. The rune was Inguz, depicted either as a diamond shape like the decorative marks on the belt

http://www.mysticgames.com/runes/Inguz.htm

or as more of an intersecting double-X motif like a DNA strand.

http://www.elexion.com/runas/readings/02.html

This is a significant symbol because it’s also an axis mundi, and represents the union of heaven and earth. I posted earlier about the recurrence of this motif in my life lately (http://parsifalshorse.blogspot.com/2008/04/tree-of-life.html), and here it is again. I also encountered the Tree of Life in the movie I watched on Friday night, My Neighbor Totoro, also an axis mundi and also detailed in the post on my music blog. I think that interesting things are starting to sprout from seeds planted long ago.

No comments: